Friday 25 January 2008

It's a Steep Learning Curve

Well, no major developments this week - just George's first bad cold, poor thing. But I am noticing some little indications of how much he is learning about all sorts of different things.

He can now walk holding on to his trolley of bricks, without any additional support - so long as someone is on standby to turn it around at the end of the room, and to readjust the trajectory when he goes slightly astray and wedges himself against the furniture.

Today he brought me one of his shoes, which had come off (nothing new there) and I said "if you want me to put it back on, you will have to give me your foot" - in response to which he lifted up his foot - and it was even the right foot, the one with no shoe on.

Yesterday I swear he was trying to say "duck" when he was in the bath - it was a sort of "da du" - which would make sense because I normally say "duck duck" for some reason!

I am really working on his first word being "book" - and I think he is almost there with that too; he certainly has the "b" and has on occasion used it appropriately. But possibly just coincidentally.

In his favourite bedtime book, when I say "meow" he points to the picture of the cat.

Since he seems to hate me doing the washing up, and stands pulling on my trouser leg and moaning at me - which is very wearing - I have started putting him up on a chair next to me (tied on to it) so that he can see what I am doing. This makes him much less moany, and he has been helping me by putting things from the side into the water.

He is now strong enough to push the button on the "Wheels on the Bus" book which makes the tune play - and he recognises the tune when it plays elsewhere, or when someone sings it, and he looks around for the book.

And, as well as learning how to clap, he now recognises the word "clap" and will do it on demand. At last, my baby can do a trick!

No comments: